[WBEL-users] Problem installing on AMD64

Robert E. Blair reblair@operamail.com
Tue, 05 Oct 2004 20:50:56 +0100

I've encountered a couple of problems installing respin 1 on an AMD64.  I, of course, stumbled over the bad boot disk, but got over it fairly quickly.  Alas, while the system "sort of" boots - meaning it asks for "what I want to do" it freezes solid as soon as it echoes a line referring to: "IA32 emulation....".

  I have tried both text and graphical startup.  I know the system is reasonably solid since I did install fedora core 2 (X86_64) and all is well except that there appears to be no via X11 driver in that install (nor in a binary 4.4.0 I pulled down from XFree86.org).  Is this also missing from the X86_64 version of WBEL3 (I haven't gotten this far with it)?  Is there a problem with this driver for 64 bit operation?  The VESA driver for the system I have does not do so well (clobbers the video and leaves me console-less) when run at higher resolutions and the vga driver does work but who wants to be limited to 256k of video memory in this day and age?

The system is a based on a DFI K8M800MLVF mobo with integrated everything (video,ethernet,1394,sata...).  Anyone have any hints on the install boot problem (or the video)?

Thanks in advance,
Bob Blair