[WBEL-users] Easy to kickstart

Kirby C. Bohling kbohling@birddog.com
Tue, 5 Oct 2004 20:47:58 -0500

On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 06:34:43PM +0200, Christian Huegel wrote:
> To be honest, who is using WBEL as a workstation anyway?

	I use it at work and at home.  I've turned several friends on to
it who use it at home and at work.  One of whom is a CS faculty at
the University of Nebraska at Omaha.  He's converted the SA for the
CS Dept to it.  He just called me earlier today to tell me that they
setup kickstart installs because they are doing so many WBEL
installs.  I believe that all of the Linux CS labs and CS Faculty
who run Linux use WBEL.

	At work, we plan a migration from Win 98/2K/XP on about 40 of
the 60 desktop machines within the next 60-90 days.  However, those
are not power users.  It will be essentially a kiosk for a Web based
application we run.  Other then the fact that my Mozilla is sinfully
out of date, I think WhiteBox is great.  There are a few other odds
and ins that are irritating, but for the most part, what isn't there
to like about an OS that has security upgrades and is so stable for
a desktop?  I really don't miss my 9-12 month re-installs of Win32
OS's due to bitrot, or upgrading my RHL installs because they
stopped issuing security updates for it.

	I have to admit, I'm anxious to try out {RH,WB}EL 4.0 on my
desktop for the 2.6 kernel, an newer mozilla/KDE/Evolution cycle,
but in general I'm not that much of a bleeding edge junkie that I
consider hacking a WBEL machine to get the newer versions.  WBEL 4
will be installed first on my desktop, not on a server.

	Ironically, I'm just plain happy to continue installing WBEL 3.0
on my servers for probably another 24 months before I consider doing
a newer version.  3.0 is plenty stable and fast.  It's a known
quantity.  I won't run out of security updates for another 48
months.

	Thanks,
		Kirby