[WBEL-users] Error inserting module for non-existent floppy

Conor Wynne weeboy@conorwynne.com
Wed, 06 Oct 2004 15:06:13 +0100

--=-rHJw+YjZvqbs2Ve6G6YS

On Wed, 2004-10-06 at 14:32, Gary Mansell wrote:
> Dear all,
>=20
> I have installed Whitebox on my Dell D600 laptop and it runs fine apart
> from an annoying error message at boot time.
>=20
> At the kudzu stage of the boot process, the machine tries to insert the
> floppy kernel module. As my laptop has not got a floppy drive an error
> message is created:
>=20
>=20
> /lib/modules/2.4.21-20.EL/kernel/drivers/block/floppy.o: init_module: No
> such device
> Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
> including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
>       You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
> /lib/modules/2.4.21-20.EL/kernel/drivers/block/floppy.o: insmod
> /lib/modules/2.4.21-20.EL/kernel/drivers/block/floppy.o failed
> /lib/modules/2.4.21-20.EL/kernel/drivers/block/floppy.o: insmod floppy
> failed
> I would appreciate it if someone could tell me how to stop this message.
>=20
> Thanks in advance

Hi gary,

You have two choices:

# chkconfig kudzu off

Or, you can disable it by adding an entry to modules.conf:

alias block-major-2 floppy

> Gary Mansell

Regards,
--=20