[WBEL-users] Error inserting module for non-existent floppy

Conor Wynne weeboy@conorwynne.com
Wed, 06 Oct 2004 17:41:13 +0100

On Wed, 2004-10-06 at 15:06, Conor Wynne wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-10-06 at 14:32, Gary Mansell wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I have installed Whitebox on my Dell D600 laptop and it runs fine apart
> > from an annoying error message at boot time.
> >
> > At the kudzu stage of the boot process, the machine tries to insert the
> > floppy kernel module. As my laptop has not got a floppy drive an error
> > message is created:
> >

> > /lib/modules/2.4.21-20.EL/kernel/drivers/block/floppy.o: init_module: No
> > such device
> > Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
> > including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
> >       You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
> > /lib/modules/2.4.21-20.EL/kernel/drivers/block/floppy.o: insmod
> > /lib/modules/2.4.21-20.EL/kernel/drivers/block/floppy.o failed
> > /lib/modules/2.4.21-20.EL/kernel/drivers/block/floppy.o: insmod floppy
> > failed
> > I would appreciate it if someone could tell me how to stop this message.
> >
> > Thanks in advance
>
> Hi gary,
>
> You have two choices:
>
> # chkconfig kudzu off
>
> Or, you can disable it by adding an entry to modules.conf:
>
> alias block-major-2 floppy

OOps, that should be:
alias floppy off

As I was saying to Gary offlist, I've never had this issue, but I reckon
it will work. if anyone knows otherwise, then please let us all know.

--
Conor Wynne
Dublin