[WBEL-users] Respin1

Security Team security@peakpeak.com
Thu, 07 Oct 2004 14:14:28 -0600

Hi Conor:

Thanks for your response.....

On 10/1/04 5:39 AM, "Conor Wynne" <weeboy@conorwynne.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 04:12, Security Team wrote:
>> This Whitebox Linux is interesting, but I haven't had any luck with it.
>>
>> I tried installing it on a 2-disk (dual 40GB) P4 system with a 100Meg RAID1
>> (software) /boot and 1GB swap on each disk, then another /dev/md1 with the
>> remaining 35GB on /
>>
>> The system wouldn't boot after the install, saying "error loading operating
>> system"
>>
>> Install #2
>>
>> So I tried changing it so that /boot was not software RAID (just ext3) and
>> it just gave the same message on this completely new installation when I
>> tried to boot it.
>> Install #3
>>
>> So then I goofed the IDE bus a bit, swapping the cables and installing again
>> with the RAID1 /boot and /.  This time, it started up after the installation
>> but dumped me into grub:
>>
>> grub>
>>
>> I tried boot, etc and none of the commands would get me in business.  Any
>> ideas on what I could be doing wrong?
>> This machine previously ran Fedora 1 just fine.
>
> You're system should boot fine with a software raid1 for /boot.
> This is exactly what I have myself.
>
> Q: What is your IDE controller?

Whatever was on the motherboard, it was initially an MSI motherboard.

But I tried a different motherboard and got the same thing.

> Q: Can you boot onto the install CD in rescue mode and chroot to the
> system to see if that works? It should.

Booting from the CD was not a problem.

> Here is my config:

> /dev/Volume00/LogVol00
>                       6.8G  2.8G  3.7G  44% /
> /dev/md0               97M   18M   74M  20% /boot
> /dev/Volume00/LogVol03
>                       5.3G  2.1G  3.0G  41% /home
> none                  504M     0  504M   0% /dev/shm
> /dev/Volume00/LogVol01
>                        13G  9.5G  2.5G  80% /var
>
> [root@p3000 root]# cat /proc/mdstat
> Personalities : [raid1]
> read_ahead 1024 sectors
> Event: 3
> md0 : active raid1 sdb1[1] sda1[0]
>       102144 blocks [2/2] [UU]
>
> md1 : active raid1 sdb2[1] sda2[0]
>       17680128 blocks [2/2] [UU]
>
> md2 : active raid1 sdd1[1] sdc1[0]
>       8883840 blocks [2/2] [UU]
>
> unused devices: <none>
>
> LVM2 based and ext3 FS ontop of it. This way I have maximum redundancy,
> and as filesystems get full -> check out /var already, I can add a disk
> and dynamically grow it to whatever I require.

Yeah, that's great, but I'd be happy if I could have just gotten it to boot.

> I would suggest that you add your SWAP space onto your RAID1, that way
> if yoiur SWAP disk dies, and you're system needs to swap, then the
> system wont fall over.

Again, booting is the real issue here.  But thanks for the suggestion.  I
tend to create a swap partition on each disk.

> I reckon the problem is that your bootloader needs to be re-written, so
> when in rescue mode, run grub-install, and see what hapens.

No joy there.

What I ended up trying was swapping the disk drives, that didn't help.  So
then I tried another motherboard.  That didn't help either.  Various forms
of grub problems (apparently) with the symptoms and messages being a little
different each time.

So I finally decided to take the same machine that I was trying Respin1 on
with no luck and install Fedora 2.

Worked great.

So I would tend to think that Respin1 has some problems.

Chris