[WBEL-users] new to whitebox - question about updates

Fri, 08 Oct 2004 05:23:23 -0500

On Fri, 2004-10-08 at 07:12, Mike Staver wrote:
> My question is this: how do I use yum or something similar to get
> updates for things like spamassassin? I noticed the install I just did
> contains version 2.55, which is very old - and I went to the
> spamassassin.org website and tried to install version 2.64, and it
> complained about the kernel I was using as being too old - can
> somebody tell me how to get updates for things like this in the
> future?  Thanks.

Older is not necessarily bad ... RHEL, and therefore WBEL, are designed
to be stable and have a goal to remain stable for a production
environment.  Therefore, unless a change is something that fixes bugs or
security issues, or it adds a desired (by RedHat) major functionality,
it probably won't make it into RHEL 3 (or into WBEL).

RedHat also routinely rolls changes into older versions of software
(called backporting) to fix security issues without breaking
compatibility with other installed packages:

http://www.redhat.com/advice/speaks_backport.html

But I agree with Wayne ... if you do want to use yum to install option
packages, Dag's repository is the place to go.

Johnny Hughes
<http://www.HughesJR.com/>