[WBEL-users] Some BIND questions

Diego_Leccardi@Dell.com Diego_Leccardi@Dell.com
Mon, 11 Oct 2004 17:54:19 +0100

Hi Robert,
Try to have a look at the following how-to, you should find all the
answers that you need [or at least I hope so ;-)]

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/DNS-HOWTO.html

Thanks

	Diego

-----Original Message-----
From: whitebox-users-admin@beau.org
[mailto:whitebox-users-admin@beau.org] On Behalf Of Robert Moskowitz
Sent: 11 October 2004 17:13
To: whitebox-users@beau.org
Subject: [WBEL-users] Some BIND questions

NOTE : I am not skilled with LINUX.  I am trying to switch out an NT
Domain for a SAMBA Domain, and one of my colleagues set me up with
Whitebox for stablity over Fedora or Debian...

The system is running isolated on its own VLAN with no outside contact
(thus no updates!), with the same address and host name as the NT server
it will replace (to keep all configs cleaner).  I can switch test
systems to the VLAN as progress is made....

I use to know BIND 4.x quite well, but I am dated.....

What version of BIND is running on Whitebox, and how do I check the
version.

I have editted my named.conf and the zone files in /var/named as per
Liu's BIND book 4th Ed (had to get it and pitch my 2nd Ed).

**The DNS configuration graphic tool is broken.**

How do I reload the files?  Neither ndc or rndc are found. (rndc
reload).

Localhost and 127.0.0.1 are working.
forward on my domain works
reverse does not.  I am attempting to use RFC 2317 method for CIDR
delegation (Solution 3 in BIIND, pgs 239 - 240).

So is there a way to:

query to see which zones are running?

For testing reverse, isolated, do I have to master the whole arpa. tree
down to my class zone?  ( I am master for the x.x.x.in-addr.arpa and the
n-m.x.x.x.in-addr.arpa zones)

I am using the $GENERATE command.  Can't find it clearly defined in
Liu's book (he needs a better Index!)  How can I set my debug level to
see if this command is working correctly, and which syslog the debug
stuff will be written to?

Can I set debug to see the processing of a DIG on the reverse lookup?

Well that is a starter.

HTT Consulting
(248) 968-9809

"..It don't mean a thing if you cain't get that Ping...."
                 Dizzy Gillespie, 1946