[WBEL-users] Root login: Access Denied

Conor Wynne weeboy@conorwynne.com
Tue, 12 Oct 2004 20:16:00 +0100

--=-Jg65sa74c5XID5eZockh

On Tue, 2004-10-12 at 18:38, Anthony Plunkett wrote:
> Hi hope someone can help :]
>=20
> I've built a wee server and I've just put it in the datacentre, but now=20
> I can't seem to login via ssh with the root account (Access Denied). =20
> When I had it locally to me I could ssh in fine, so I'm assuming that=20
> there is a rule somewhere that dissallows logging in as root from a=20
> remote location (excluding when the remote machine is on the same ip

It has likely been disabled so.=20
Check in /etc/ssh/sshd_config

Make sure that "PermitRootLogin" is set to yes.=20
Then restart sshd a la:

service sshd restart

> =20
> range) is this normal, I know fbsd defaults to something similar, but I=20
> was unaware that WBEL did too or maybe I'm just entirely confused and=20
> it's something else :] Also when I su from another user I get incorrect=20
> password (which I'm positive it isn't)

Check the user is in the "wheel" group, AFAIK this is necessary to be
able to "su" - or else the directive also disables "su"ing

> Anthony Plunkett.
--=20
Conor Wynne
Dublin,