[WBEL-users] Adding 2nd address to interface

Robert Moskowitz rgm@htt-consult.com
Wed, 13 Oct 2004 08:04:44 -0400

At 02:24 AM 10/13/2004, Kirby C. Bohling wrote:
>On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 09:48:36AM +0530, Sudev Barar wrote:
> seems
> >
> > Run command neat and go through the GUI for setting up a second IP on
> > eth0:1
>
>         Yes, that's the part he couldn't figure out.
>
>         Going thru it the interface a second time, I realized that you
>can use "Add" from the first screen, and it's easier then doing the
>copy.  Click on "Add" -> "Ethernet" -> "the card you want a second
>IP on", put in the static IP you want per normal -> Click Apply.  It
>will create an ethernet device named "eth0:1", which is an alias
>that you can treat like an independent ethernet device.  That's
>easier then the copy explaintion I gave earlier.  For the sake of
>anyone searching for the answer in the future, that's much easier.
>
>         However, your message isn't terribly useful.  He'd obviously
>tried using the GUI.  I'm fairly sure that's what you mean when you
>say "go through the GUI for setting up a second IP on eth0:1".

Yeah, that is the ticket!  Dah, I thought new was only for if you were
adding a new physical interface...

Senior moment (well AARP gives my one more year, I was sitting at my first
keyboard in '66 as a high school senior).

Second address is up an running.  It works for out bound traffic (of course
for the first addie, I did not supply a gateway address...).

Now to follow instructions on the Whitebox FAQ to get UP2Date pointed the
right way and get those Samba and Openldap updates (plus of course BIND and
such)!