Closing comments Re: [WBEL-users] Adding 2nd address to interface

Robert Moskowitz rgm@htt-consult.com
Wed, 13 Oct 2004 15:48:39 -0400

All updated.  I want to thank all that replied.  Hopefully I can help out
at a problem where I have expertise!

At 08:03 AM 10/13/2004, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>Hey,
>
>Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>>I need to add a 2nd static address to my ethernet interface, and it seems
>>the GUI can't do this...
>
>You have already had a few replies on how to do this via the GUI, but I
>thought I might as well pitch in with this - most Server/ gateway machines
>dont really have a GUI installed on them.

Well, I did install a GUI on this server.  I don't have the time to really
relearn UN*X and learn all the new stuff.  Hard enough going from BIND 4.9
to 9.2 and picking up Samba and Openldap (well I should have done more with
ldap years ago, as I worked on a number of the IETF RFCs...).

Got the second address set up.

up2date ran.  Took much of the day.  It didn't tell me that I really needed
to reboot......

Disabled the second address, logged off as root to log on as user.  KDE
hung, had to hard reboot and everything SEEMS to be running ok.

I just selected all packages to update, as I had no way of knowing what I
needed to update, I just had to be trusting....

Well, that is all for now.  Back to the Samba howto and ldap setup!