[WBEL-users] No module aarich found for kernel 2.4.21-20.EL, aborting

Conor Wynne weeboy@conorwynne.com
Thu, 14 Oct 2004 09:53:16 +0100

--=-w+TtTMxNEYXFnQtIIALF

On Thu, 2004-10-14 at 09:13, Thomas Knoop wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 13, 2004 8:52 PM, C Lance Moxley wrote:
>=20
> >> The complete message is:
> >>
> >> No module aarich found for kernel 2.4.21-20.EL, aborting.
> >> mkinitrd failed
>=20
> > As far as I know, the aarich driver is a proprietary, binary only
> > driver. I have a few IBM machines with this SATA RAID card running
> > WBEL. IBM only has drivers through RHEL Update 2, which is the
> > 2.4.21-15.EL kernel.
>=20
> Oh, ok, thats puts me in the situation to re-consider if i should use the=
=20
> hardware raid (mirror) on this machine, as it is in a co-location situati=
on.
>=20
> It will be difficult to update the kernel from a remote site...
>=20
> I do not have any experience with the Software RAID option, would that be=
 a=20
> wise choice?

Yes, Linux software raid is very stable, and will likely be faster than
any SATA raid controller you may have.=20

I setup a production box (2xIDE drives RAID1) at a small office three of
four years ago, and its still running smoothly even after multiple
powercuts.=20

It will always be slower than _true_ hardware raid. AFAIK, all these
fangled IDE-RAID controllers are using as much CPU as the Linux MD
driver.=20

in fact, on a low utilised CPU, it can be fater than lower end hardware
controllers. But as soon as you start using high CPU, then the benefits
of hardware raid come into their own (awell as battery backed cache)

I would avoid all proprietry modules which taint the kernel, it makes
kernel upgrades a PITA.=20

However, have you tried using a wrapper module for the purpose?=20

> Regards,
>   Thomas.

--=20
Conor Wynne