[WBEL-users] updates since respin-1?

Alexandre Aufrere loopkin@nikosoft.net
Wed, 20 Oct 2004 17:19:21 +0200

Paul Pianta wrote:
> Today I wanted to 'yum install php-mysql' and I got the following
> dependency error ...
> --- snip ---
> Resolving dependencies
> ....Unable to satisfy dependencies
> Package php-mysql needs php = 4.3.2-11.ent, this is not available.
> --- snip ---
>
> Running 'rpm -q php' gave me php-4.3.2-14.ent.i386.rpm
>
> Does anyone have any idea where the php-4.3.2-14.ent package came from?
> I manually checked the phantom hosting wbel mirror and there is no '-14'
> package there - just '-11'.
>
> Could it be another 'mirrors out of sync' problem? If so - maybe we
> should investigate further because out of sync mirrors are no longer
> 'mirrors' - they are just dull reflections that can cause annoying
> problems ...

it could be exactly that. i have several problems with mirrors. some are
very strange: i can connect to them normally with a browser, but yum
bugs when trying to connect to them (specifically, it's the BELNET mirror).
another common problem, fortunately a bit less common with YUM2 than
YUM1, is that sometimes it just fails to guess correctly dependencies.

all in all, the main problem is that YUM has still several bugs, is
slow, and implements some ideas that _appear_ to be smart, but in fact,
aren't (such as the multiple mirrors for each source).

i regret very much that RH and then WBEL did choose YUM over APT.

my suggestion: do your own mirror to avoid problems.

Alex