[WBEL-users] updates since respin-1?

Paul Pianta pantz@lqt.ca
Wed, 20 Oct 2004 11:50:25 -0400

William Hooper wrote:

>>If so - maybe we
>>should investigate further [snip]
>>

>The first point of contact for an out of sync mirror is the mirror admin.
>They are the only ones with the ability to re-sync the mirror.  FWIW the
>phantom hosting mirror is months out of date (it's newest files are from
>May).

Wouldn't it be a good idea to try to have at least some control over
which mirrors are up-to-date and which mirrors are not? I think that it
is pretty important in maintaining the credibility of WBEL - and it is
in the quality of the mirrors that many people will base their judgement
(ie. through 'yum update').

If a mirror (eg. phantom hosting) has not updated its repository for
longer than, say - 4 weeks, and people become aware of it - the mirror
admin is contacted and if the problem is not corrected - then the mirror
is pulled from the website until things are resolved (if ever).

I know this doesn't work for the hard-coded mirrors in yum.conf but that
is another problem. I don't believe that any mirrors should ever be
hard-coded into the yum package. The main repository can be in there and
the website could then maintain an additional list of active mirrors
that people could copy/paste into their yum.conf once they realise that
the main repo is majorly overloaded. This web list could be modified as
needed and kept uptodate depending on which mirrors are truly active.

I am not trying to be nasty here so sorry if it seems that way - but I
don't really know how to go about influencing decisions that are made on
behalf of the 'WBEL community' (or is it all just on John's head) ...

Open for discussion on possible resolutions ...

pantz

--
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes ...
That way when you do criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes!