[WBEL-users] Install and Remove Applications

Nick Sklavenitis sklav@istop.com
Fri, 22 Oct 2004 09:06:32 -0400 (EDT)

Robert Moskowitz <rgm@htt-consult.com> said:

> At 02:16 PM 10/21/2004, Paul Pianta wrote:
>

> >I've personally never had any luck with the gui for installing packages
> >because it would bug out on me all the time.
> >
> >In my search for an alternative I met a new friend - yum. You should meet
> >him too - he is very helpful when it comes to installing packages - and is
> >so nice that he will do most of the work for you. Most of the time you
> >only have to say 3 words to him and you can trust him to get the job done.
> >'yum update' is often good to have the latest packages updated on your
> >machine.
> >'yum install packagename' will install the package and any dependencies it
> >needs.
>
> OK.  I looked at the GUI Add/Remove packages program and could not find out
> how to add a program it does not list....
>
> So on to yum which makes sense anyway, as that is what controls the updates.
>
> So I want to add sambaconsole from Ideal.org, it is NOT yet part of the
> standard Samba package (unlike Ideals's tools).
>
> I have no idea what the package name is.  I see the rpm on their site,
> though and they have the string 'sambaconsole' in the file name.  They also
> mention it is built on 'imc' that I do not find on my system.
>
> SO:
>
> Do I just run:
>
> yum install sambaconsole
>
> And expect the servers to find this on idealx's site?  Will it
> automatically resolve dependances and get imc as well?
>
> Or do I fetch these via http, and store them in the /var/cache/yum
> directory first?  Then how would updates be handled?
>
> Oh, a second question about yum.  Somewhere in all my readings I noted that
> updates will NOT be installed if you have modified the packages conf
files...

> Whow!  This has to be wrong!  I can see that I COULD have done bind
> differently and modified the named-exceptions.conf file (or whatever it is
> called) instead of named.conf, but neither openldab nor samba gives me
> anyway to configure them (that I have discovered) that does not modify the
> supplied configs.  And if is were the case, would not these programs tell
> you to modify files other than the supplied configs????

What your asking to do is most likely not possible. here is the reason it
wont work. does idealX have a yum repo? im thinking no, i think they most
likely just provide the package. what you want to do would mean that all
rpm's on the Internet are part of a central DB that would resolve cryptic
package deps. I think that is very far down the line.