[WBEL-users] Install and Remove Applications

Rafael Baquero S. rbaqueros@yahoo.com.mx
Fri, 22 Oct 2004 10:49:52 -0500

On Friday 22 October 2004 08:06, Nick Sklavenitis wrote:
> Robert Moskowitz <rgm@htt-consult.com> said:
> > At 02:16 PM 10/21/2004, Paul Pianta wrote:
> > >I've personally never had any luck with the gui for installing packages
> > >because it would bug out on me all the time.
> > >
> > >In my search for an alternative I met a new friend - yum. You should
> > > meet him too - he is very helpful when it comes to installing packages
> > > - and is so nice that he will do most of the work for you. Most of the
> > > time you only have to say 3 words to him and you can trust him to get
> > > the job done. 'yum update' is often good to have the latest packages
> > > updated on your machine.
> > >'yum install packagename' will install the package and any dependencies
> > > it needs.
> >
> > OK.  I looked at the GUI Add/Remove packages program and could not find
> > out how to add a program it does not list....
> >
> > So on to yum which makes sense anyway, as that is what controls the
> > updates.
> >
> > So I want to add sambaconsole from Ideal.org, it is NOT yet part of the
> > standard Samba package (unlike Ideals's tools).
> >
> > I have no idea what the package name is.  I see the rpm on their site,
> > though and they have the string 'sambaconsole' in the file name.  They
> > also mention it is built on 'imc' that I do not find on my system.
> >
> > SO:
> >
> > Do I just run:
> >
> > yum install sambaconsole
> >
> > And expect the servers to find this on idealx's site?  Will it
> > automatically resolve dependances and get imc as well?
> >
> > Or do I fetch these via http, and store them in the /var/cache/yum
> > directory first?  Then how would updates be handled?
> >
> > Oh, a second question about yum.  Somewhere in all my readings I noted
> > that updates will NOT be installed if you have modified the packages conf
>
> files...
>
> > Whow!  This has to be wrong!  I can see that I COULD have done bind
> > differently and modified the named-exceptions.conf file (or whatever it
> > is called) instead of named.conf, but neither openldab nor samba gives me
> > anyway to configure them (that I have discovered) that does not modify
> > the supplied configs.  And if is were the case, would not these programs
> > tell you to modify files other than the supplied configs????
>
> What your asking to do is most likely not possible. here is the reason it
> wont work. does idealX have a yum repo? im thinking no, i think they most
> likely just provide the package. what you want to do would mean that all
> rpm's on the Internet are part of a central DB that would resolve cryptic
> package deps. I think that is very far down the line.

Considering that the same app is sometimes packaged differently depending on
the distribution I would say that having a central DB is probably very, very,
very far down the line. I haven't checked the rpm docs lately, but probably
introducing a distribution flag together with the version flags should help.
Depending on the distribution flag a package could install in a different
manner.

Anyone has heard of such changes in RPM?

Regards.

Rafael.