[WBEL-users] Install and Remove Applications

Robert Moskowitz rgm@htt-consult.com
Fri, 22 Oct 2004 15:22:42 -0400

At 10:03 AM 10/22/2004, Paul Pianta wrote:

>Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>

>>Oh, a second question about yum.  Somewhere in all my readings I noted
>>that updates will NOT be installed if you have modified the packages conf
>>files...
>>
>>Whow!  This has to be wrong!  I can see that I COULD have done bind
>>differently and modified the named-exceptions.conf file (or whatever it
>>is called) instead of named.conf, but neither openldab nor samba gives me
>>anyway to configure them (that I have discovered) that does not modify
>>the supplied configs.  And if is were the case, would not these programs
>>tell you to modify files other than the supplied configs????
>
>Yum uses rpm for all of its work so the same rpm rules apply. If an update
>to an rpm package is installed (by yum or rpm) over the top of the same
>name older package, if the rpm was well packaged (as most are) then the
>package will install but any config files will not be overwritten. Instead
>they will be written with the .rpmnew extension (eg. yum.conf.rpmnew will
>be created in /etc alongside your original customised yum.conf after
>updating the 'yum' package itself).

ok.  It had me worried there for a bit.  This means that you have to check
for .rpmnew files, but that is livable.
Is there any utility to notify root or somewhere else of the appearance of
.rpmnew files?  I could see a nightly cron that finds them and emails the
result to root..