[WBEL-users] Install and Remove Applications

Paul Pianta pantz@lqt.ca
Fri, 22 Oct 2004 10:03:45 -0400

Robert Moskowitz wrote:

> So I want to add sambaconsole from Idealx.org, it is NOT yet part of
> the standard Samba package (unlike Ideals's tools).

Mmm something I forgot to mention about yum - if the package you are
looking for is not in any known repository - your are out of luck.
95% of most common packages are in well known yum repositories - but for
single packages such as the one you are searching for ... you're gonna
have to go with the traditional command line rpm install - (ie. rpm -ivh
packagename) and deal with any dependencies as you go along.

> I have no idea what the package name is.  I see the rpm on their site,
> though and they have the string 'sambaconsole' in the file name.  They
> also mention it is built on 'imc' that I do not find on my system.
>
> SO:
>
> Do I just run:
>
> yum install sambaconsole

This would work if idealx were kind enough to set up a mini yum repo
with their packages and then you could add their repo to your yum.conf
and away you go. Unfortunately this doesn't seem to be the case :(

> Oh, a second question about yum.  Somewhere in all my readings I noted
> that updates will NOT be installed if you have modified the packages
> conf files...
>
> Whow!  This has to be wrong!  I can see that I COULD have done bind
> differently and modified the named-exceptions.conf file (or whatever
> it is called) instead of named.conf, but neither openldab nor samba
> gives me anyway to configure them (that I have discovered) that does
> not modify the supplied configs.  And if is were the case, would not
> these programs tell you to modify files other than the supplied
> configs????

Yum uses rpm for all of its work so the same rpm rules apply. If an
update to an rpm package is installed (by yum or rpm) over the top of
the same name older package, if the rpm was well packaged (as most are)
then the package will install but any config files will not be
overwritten. Instead they will be written with the .rpmnew extension
(eg. yum.conf.rpmnew will be created in /etc alongside your original
customised yum.conf after updating the 'yum' package itself).

Sorry to get you interested in yum and then find it doesn't work for
your situation :\

But yum is well worth learning about anyway so you are off to a good
start :)

pantz

--
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes ...
That way when you do criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes!