[WBEL-users] RHEL

Fri, 22 Oct 2004 19:09:44 -0500

On Fri, 2004-10-22 at 19:40 -0400, William Hooper wrote:
> Ganeshram Iyer said:
> > Hello all,
> > Had a quick question. I have been using WBEL for the last few months and
> > have been totally satisfied but now have an option to move to RHEL. The
> > WBEL that we get is the ES version (at least thats what mine says). The
> > options with RHEL that I have are only WS or AS. Which would be the better
> > option to go with.
> [snip]
>
> Depends what you need.
>
> http://www.redhat.com/software/rhel/comparison/
>
> I don't know why you can't get ES, but IIRC the only difference between ES
> and AS is the support options.

I agree with William concerning ES and AS on RHEL, the major difference
is support.  But there are memory limits and CPU limits set in the
compiled kernel for ES (2 CPUs, 8GB RAM).  If you wanted to go higher,
you would need to recompile your kernel (no RedHat support) or use
AS ... but WBEL is an AS clone (all the packages are available).

If you wanted to use RHEL AS 3 as a desktop, you could ... but you have
to pay RedHat for the service charges for each version of RHEL AS 3
installed.

Some other considerations ... mysql-server is NOT provided with RHEL
ES/AS (you would need to compile it yourself and there is no support)
and if you need to run the kernel-unsupported package for hardware it
isn't supported (hence, the name).  I personally see no reason to use
RHEL except on production Servers where you need the RedHat support...
like an Oracle server...

Johnny Hughes
<http://www.HughesJR.com/>