[WBEL-users] RHEL

Jim Wildman Jim Wildman <jim@rossberry.com>
Fri, 22 Oct 2004 20:55:38 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004, Johnny Hughes wrote:

> Some other considerations ... mysql-server is NOT provided with RHEL
> ES/AS (you would need to compile it yourself and there is no support)
> and if you need to run the kernel-unsupported package for hardware it
> isn't supported (hence, the name).  I personally see no reason to use
> RHEL except on production Servers where you need the RedHat support...
> like an Oracle server...

mysql-server is in the extras channel on AS.  Though RH hasn't dropped a
new binary to match the client binaries for this week's updates.  As was
noted, there are support differences and some of the compile time
options are different between the kernels.  I personally use CentOS3.x
for my desktop at work and at home (RHEL3 rebuild like WBEL).

Jim Wildman, CISSP, RHCE       jim@rossberry.com http://www.rossberry.com
Thomas Paine