[WBEL-users] RHEL

Ganeshram Iyer gri0941@uta.edu
Sat, 23 Oct 2004 13:41:33 -0500

Thank you all for your comments/suggestions. I guess I did not clarify
my need properly. The reason for only two choices (AS or WS) is the
place where I work has purchased site-wide licenses for WS and has
limited AS licenses for installs on computers which are company-owned
(no personal usage). I guess the WS would be sufficient for me as this
is all it is going to do:
1) SAMBA Domain (15 computers with 15+ users)
2) HTTP/HTTPS server (Apache)
3) FTP server (vsftpd)/WEBDAV
4) SSH server
5) Backup software of some kind
I dont know yet if I would need mysql-server. My box is an IBM machine
with 1GB RAM and 200GB HD. It is the only server level system we have
but with limited PCs available to us I do not want this PC to be server
alone. If I can let users use this machine as a desktop it would help
increase resources. From your suggestions it seems that it would be OK
as a desktop though not the ideal choice.

Thanks again for all your help.
Ganesh