[WBEL-users] FTP server

bishop bishop@platypus.bc.ca
Mon, 25 Oct 2004 00:51:03 -0700

James Knowles wrote:
> If you *must* use ordinary FTP, yes.

I'm used to another server, and really found VS to be, well, lacking.
You see, it's missing a few features I found important and the docs for
it were really poor.  Yes, we understand it's so much niftier than
server X, but I'd like less premature self-congratulation and more
config help, please.  8-)

>> What are the ways to secure it with something else than passwords ?
>
> You can restrict vsftp pretty good (see its documentation), but still
> the username/password and all transmissions are clear text. Ugh.
>
> If you want better security, use sftp.

.. or TLS-secured FTP (ftps).  Hey, isn't HTTP finally getting some TLS
religion?  I'm a decent win32 client away from locking down FTP to
TLS-or-anonymous only; none of this clear-text auth stuff.

I found scponly to be a good no-shell user shell, btw, for the sftp
crowd.  It does scp/sftp/ssh-cvs.  Very nice, if only a 99% solution.
Wanna RPM?  8-)

With the right ftps client and server, one *can* use Kerberos and S/Keys
to log in.  Actually, considering how 'old' the server is where I saw
this implemented, it's probably far too unpopular to mention and oddly
ahead of its time.

>> Where can I find some informations about theses solutions ?

If you want to go with an SCP solution, and just use winSCP or sftp or
scp to transfer file, that solution will suffice.  Otherwise, let me
know and I'll dig up some more info.

  - bish

--
	"What do you call the smaller ones;