[WBEL-users] FTP server

James Knowles jamesk@ifm-services.com
Mon, 25 Oct 2004 17:13:11 -0600

> I'm used to another server, and really found VS to be, well, lacking.

The original question was "Is vsftp a good choice...?" I answered "If
you *must* use ordinary FTP, yes." We needed something we could restrict
to hell's end, and it seems to have worked thus far for our narrow
criteria. I have no skin in the game other than sharing what worked for
us on short notice. And, yes, I agree vsftp needs help in the
documentation department. (Sadly vsftpd is not alone in the Linux world
on that account, either.)

If you prefer another FTP server, please share that with us instead of
bashing vsftp and leave us wondering what alternative would work better.
That serves nobody.

Seriously, if you have a suggestion for something you prefer, please
share. I myself am a "when I have to" sysadmin and can always stand good
input... and I save off the e-mails for future reference because my
brain leaks. :-) If there's something that will make my life easier, I'm
all ears. :-D

> .. or TLS-secured FTP (ftps). ... I'm a decent win32 client away from
> locking down FTP to TLS-or-anonymous only; none of this clear-text
> auth stuff.

Any sites for more info? This sounds very interesting. Is it restricted
to win32 clients only? I'm not sure if that's what you're implying.

Anyhow, I hope I don't come across as harsh. I really shouldn't drive a
keyboard hardly being able to see the screen through a massive migraine.