Make RPM - was Re: [WBEL-users] How to recompile my kernel

Phil Schaffner Philip.R.Schaffner@NASA.gov
Wed, 27 Oct 2004 13:35:53 -0400

On Tue, 2004-10-26 at 20:01 -0700, bishop wrote:

> Phil Schaffner wrote:
> > Or, some like "make rpm" - also allows building in user space, often
> > recommended.  See http://www.rpm.org/hintskinks/buildtree/
>
> Recommended by whom?  The people who haven't seen 'rpmbuild -t' yet?  Or
> just people who use their sun-roof to get into their car?

Recommended by people who dislike having critical system files
overwritten due to poorly-constructed SRPM spec/makefiles.

The -t option for rpmbuild is to look for a spec inside a tarball -
seems at best marginally relevant here.

> Those people are out there, just like the people 'recommending' we
> prepare for the impending apocalypse or 'recommending' that we 'learn'
> that the lunar mission was faked.

Ya' mean it wasn't???

>   - bish
> gettin' started

Hope you manage to get off to a good start.

Phil