Make RPM - was Re: [WBEL-users] How to recompile my kernel

Lamar Owen lowen@pari.edu
Wed, 27 Oct 2004 14:49:55 -0400

On Wednesday 27 October 2004 12:41, Rafael Baquero S. wrote:
> Recomended by anyone not willing to grant ALL of their users root access
> !!!

You do not need root access to build RPMs from source.  You just need root
access to install them.

> rpmbuild -t allows you to build a RPM package from a .tar.gz file. A user
> build tree allows regular users to build RPMs within their user space. They
> have nothing to do with each other.

In your home directory put the following into .rpmmacros:
%_topdir /path/to/where/you/want/the/tree

(I use /home/lowen/redhat, myself).

Then create the directories 'BUILD SOURCES SPECS SRPMS RPMS' in that
directory.  Create the various architectures under RPMS (such as noarch,
i386, i486, i586, athlon, i686, sparc64, or what not, depending upon you
machine).

Now, an rpm -i of the source rpm will install to that directory (as a normal
user!), and an rpmbuild will build in that directory.

I do this all the time, and have done it building the PostgreSQL RPMset for
several years as user 'lowen'.

--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology