[WBEL-users] PostgreSQL build problem.

Lamar Owen lowen@pari.edu
Wed, 27 Oct 2004 17:13:03 -0400

On Wednesday 27 October 2004 16:45, Rafael Baquero S. wrote:
> I am trying to build postgresql-7.4.6-2PGDG.src.rpm or
> postgresql-7.4.6-1.FC3.1.src.rpm unsuccessfully so far.

While I just day before yesterday stepped down as active RPM maintainer for
the PostgreSQL Development Group, I can authoritatively answer this one.

RPMs already exist in binary form for WBEL;  they are built for RHEL3.  Look
in /pub/binary/v7.4.6/rpms/redhat/rhel-3 on ftp.postgresql.org. However, if
you must rebuild from source, you need to supply a couple of command line
options to the rebuild.

The PostgreSQL RPM spec file has a number of command line options, available
from the rpmbuild command, to control the build. The default build is for
FC2.  Try:
rpmbuild --rebuild --define 'build9 1' postgresql-7.4.6-2PGDG.src.rpm

(RHEL3 and by extension WBEL3 is mostly RHL9-compatible)  RHAS 2.1=RHL7.2+,
RHEL3=RHL9+, RHEL4=FC2+ (once it's actually released).  Other command line
options include build6x, build7x (good for RHAS2.1), build8, and build9.
There are others; see the top of postgresql.spec for details.

As to the python errors, make sure python-devel is installed.

I just now rebuilt the from-ftp.postgresql.org source rpm with that command
line, and got binaries.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology