[WBEL-users] vfat permissions

Daniel J. Summers danieljs@knology.net
Sun, 05 Sep 2004 17:25:17 -0500

Good evening.

I'm in the process of rebuilding my WBEL, and I'm stuck with vfat
permissions.  I know you can't do chmod or chown on their mount points,
but I can't remember what settings I had.  Basically, I want it
wide-open (rwxrwxrwx).  (I've got MySQL's data directory there and
Apache's html directory, both of which seem to want more permissions
than they've got.)

Before, I had created a mount point of /mnt/drive_d for this drive.
Under this installation, I changed that to /home/summersd/drive_d, so I
could easily make a "documents" directory that I could access from WBEL
and WXP.  Here's the current (non-working) fstab entry...

/dev/hdb1 /home/summersd/drive_d vfat
owner,user,rw,exec,suid,umask=0,uid=summersd,gid=summersd 1 2

I've tried umask=000, umask=777, fmask & dmask=0777, 777, 000...  I'm
guessing the suid parameter is moot, since vfat doesn't support that -
catting /etc/mtab doesn't show it as a parameter that's taken.

Thanks...

--
*Daniel J. Summers*
E-mail - 	danieljs@knology.net <mailto:danieljs@knology.net>

GEEKCODE 3.12 GCS/IT d s-:+ a C++ L++ E--- W++ N++ o? K- w !O M--
V PS+ PE++ Y? !PGP t+ 5? X+ R* tv b+ DI++ D+ G- e h---- r+++ y++++