[WBEL-users] [Fwd: Server crashed]

Ganeshram Iyer gri0941@exchange.uta.edu
Mon, 06 Sep 2004 11:49:43 -0500

As my luck would have it, I managed to crash my Whitebox server. The X
server just never starts up. And this happened after I installed Firefox
0.9.3 to/usr/lib/firefox. As soon as I did that my server crashed. With
the number of problems I am encountering with my Linux server I think I
am just going to reinstall everything. My gnome-desktop has crashed
atleast a dozen times in the last month (and the machine has been
running only for that long). I have never been able to install
j2re-1.4.2_05. Samba although working, could never get it to work as a
PDC with single sign-on. Setting up LDAP was beyond my grasp. Even the
detailed guides did not help me.
But I was even having many unclean shutdowns after which the system
check told me that there were bad blocks on my HD. So I am just
scrapping my install and restarting all over.
Does anyone have any good suggestions for a tool which I can use to
check the HD before I install? I thank all of you in advance for any
help you may offer. I am currently desperate as I had promised my lab
that I would have this server up and running by the end of last month.
They are starting to question if Linux is worth all this trouble
especially since the XP install on this machine has never caused
problems. Please help. I love LINUX and really want to stay with it if
possible with my setup.

Thanks
Ganesh