[WBEL-users] Preparing Security Updates

A Streetcar Named A Streetcar Named <desire@gmail.com>
Wed, 8 Sep 2004 18:42:48 +0800

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 09:49:09 +0100, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
> A Streetcar Named wrote:
> > Is it actually required to remove this information if you're not
> > planning to redistribute it?
> The only time you do not need to remove the redhat logo's etc is if you
> are subscribed to the RHN Service. If you are not on there - then you
> need to remove any reference to Redhat or anything on the product that
> might lead others to believe you are running a Redhat Enterprise product.

Right.  Just to clarify - my reading of this is that if I don't
redistribute it (a la what WhiteBox/Tao/CentOS are doing), I don't
have to worry about misleading others into thinking that this is RHEL,
so I don't have to strip out the information.  Is this correct, or do
I have to strip out references to RHE, regardless?

> > P.S.  Isn't it more about removing any visible indications that the
> > product is Red Hat than removing copyright information (since whatever
> > Red Hat owns is still theirs)?
> Redhat only owns their logo's and some things like that - the rest of
> the code is almost all GPL, whatever is not GPL is free to distribute
> under some similar license ( eg. Apache )

Aye.  What I meant to say is that this should be more about removing
any text that says that this is a Red Hat Enterprise product.  For
software such as anaconda where Red Hat holds the copyright, it is
imperative to leave their copyright assertion in place even if the
code is made available under GPL or a similar license.

I'm really not sure about these things, so please correct me if I'm mistaken.