[WBEL-users] Anybody created a WBEL LiveCD/DVD?

Paul Pianta pantz@lqt.ca
Wed, 08 Sep 2004 10:18:25 -0400

Benjamin J. Weiss wrote:

>I'm looking to be able to train our IT staff on RHEL before we deploy it
>en masse to our server room.  I'd like to do a multi-boot install on our
>computers, but there are problems (I won't go into them, please rest
>assured that there are valid problems with a multi-boot at this point).

Sorry for the late reply, just making my way through piles of backed up
mailing list messages, but instead of using a live CD and requiring your
admins to reboot into the liveCD environment - how about using a remote
desktop alternative? Set up one WBEL machine and let everyone have
access to it from their windows machines - with fullscreen remote sessions.

The new FreeNX server is a VERY interesting project based on the open
source licenced libraries from noMachine. This stuff is still pretty new
so it might be a bit hard to find. The latest knoppix cd has the FreeNX
server included though. And at worst - you could download the trial
server version from noMachine until you find the FreeNX version :)

You can get the client for free from noMachine and it will run on any
windows and give you a full screen (if you want) remote X session. It
works just like as if you were sitting infront of the actual linux
machine itself. And the compression algorithms that they use are
incredible - there is no lag at all.

This saves you the perfomance hit from liveCDs, the pain of rebooting,
the pain of not having windows just a click away, and you only have to
set up one WBEL machine for everyone!

If you need more details let me know ...

pantz

--
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes ...
That way when you do criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes!