[WBEL-users] Upgrading X in wbel 3

Rasmus Back Rasmus Back <rasmus.back@gmail.com>
Wed, 8 Sep 2004 18:29:15 +0300

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 17:20:09 +0200, Jan-Albert van Ree
<javanree@vanree.net> wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 September 2004 17:02, Rasmus Back wrote:
> > My problem is that the radeon 9600 mobility in my laptop won't work
> > with the radeon driver in XFree 4.3, the whole machine freezes when
> > starting X. I can't even ssh in anymore. In fc2 with x.org 6.7
> > everything works fine. The vesa driver works, but is really slow.
> >
> > Has anybody sucesfully upgraded X in wbel 3? Last time I tried
> > upgrading from source a number of applications broke because they put
> > stuff in /usr/x11R6/lib and /usr/x11R6/share (emacs comes to mind). Or
> > are there rpms of x.org for wb already available somewhere?
>
> Wouldn't it be better to grab the Radeon drivers from ATI? I installed those
> on my WBEL workstation and it works perfectly.

I forgot to mention that I've tried ATI's fglrx drivers and they don't
work very well for me. They don't support Xinerama (multihead and big
desktop aren't what I want) and I can't get the driver to only use my
external display, not the laptops internal panel. The driver seems to
cause screen corruption when switching from a vt to X. Basically I'm
not very impressed with ATI's drivers, I suppose if I had a
workstation with just one display they would work, but my laptop seems
to be too much for the driver.

Rasmus