[WBEL-users] How to generate the kernel-source RPM from a homebuilt patchedkernel

Paul subsolar@subsolar.org
Wed, 08 Sep 2004 13:13:18 -0500

On Wed, 2004-09-08 at 10:05, Gary Mansell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have downloaded the kernel-2.4.21-15.0.4.EL src RPM, installed it,
> added some vm patches, modified the .spec file to include the patches,
> built the binary kernel rpm with rpmbuild -bb <patched kernel spec file>
> and then installed it onto my host with rpm -ivh <patched kernel rpm>.
>
> The problem that I now have is that I need to compile the NVidia
> accelerated graphics driver for this new kernel and the NVidia driver
> installation program is complaining that the appropriate kernel source
> is not installed.
>
> How do I create the kernel-source rpm for my newly patched kernel? so
> that I can upgrade the kernel-source rpm to one that matches the running
> kernel? I would like to be able to install it using rpm so that my
> machine stays manageable.

I believe if you have the .spec file setup right you should be able to
to do rpmbuild -ba <specfile> and that should work.

I've build couple customized rpms for servers at work where the standard
options don't work for us that way.

Regards,
Paul Berger
--
"Its the Internet, where men are men, women are men and children are FBI
agents...and they're men!" - Unknown