[WBEL-users] Wondering about RedHat

John Hinton webmaster@ew3d.com
Wed, 29 Sep 2004 11:19:37 -0400

I have been running RedHat (non-graphical apache/mail/bind/mysql server
setups) since version 5.1 or so. I've done up2date for years and only
ever had one issue where suddenly mysql could not be run from an
offserver client. All in all, pretty minor considering the number of
updates over the years. My whole reason for staying with RedHat was this
track record. Yes, I could be more of a tech head and 'research' ever
package before installing, but gee, I just don't seem to have the time
to do that.

That was then... this is now....

So, we do the updates and suddenly bind is totally broken, I'm getting
those makewhatis errors via cron and email... It seems that the quality
control has badly degraded. How on earth can you send something out that
breaks bind?

So, I'm left wondering if their 'new' business model is creating some
'holes'. Perhaps Fedora Core is not in fact really feeding a good
product over the the EL section? This is just all interesting to wonder
about. What has changed and why are they suddenly now putting out so
many bad packages?

I'm really disturbed at this trend. I used to feel pretty darned secure
about running up2date at any time... now???? Here I am on what is
supposed to be the flagship product, and I now feel as though I need a
'test' server, upon which I can attempt to precisely mirror the packages
installed on my more loaded machines, in order to see what's broken this
time.

Sorry to be venting here, but gee, what's going to be broken next time?
The kernel? PAM? Something that will take my server down and leave me
with no method to even get into it? I'm concerned.

I would like everyone to know that I am totally directing this at RedHat
and not Whitebox, as Whitebox does appear to be following exactly as
they should, right down to the same broken packages.

I'm left wondering though, if perhaps on these quarterly updates, if
maybe we should create a 'beta' area, for us to test on, before throwing
us into the den of lions, where 'stuff dies'? Maybe consider putting the
security updates where they should be and the quarterly updates
elsewhere, to protect us from the RedHat blunders. Or maybe even have a
repository directory for only the security updates where we could set
up2date to look only there and then do mass updating at other times.
Maybe this could be done on only one repository or something... I
know.... this is a pipe dream, but gee, for now I'd personally like to
skip all this broken stuff and feel secure about updates again. Give
RedHat time to put out the patched rpms for the broken stuff before
updating. This could potentially make Whitebox more conservative, which
it already is due to the slight time delay on updates, but even better
than its parent.

I'm just happy for this list, where the fixes are generally posted, so
if one does run a bit behind on mission critical servers, the fixes are
generally posted before I get around to doing my updates.

Just food for thought....

Thanks for Whitebox,
John Hinton <who is now very happy he's not on a 'beta' EL subscription
and is looking at these SUSE DVDs laying here>