[WBEL-users] Serial Console and Reoot Problem

Raymond Lillard rlillard at sonic.net
Fri Apr 1 00:57:33 CST 2005

Dear Whitebox,

I recently installed WBEL3 (respin2) on a Samba PDC with an
ASUS P4C800 mobo.  I started the install process in the usual
way with a monitor, keyboard and mouse.  Soon after I got the
basic install up and running, I made the necessary changes to
move the system console over to the serial port commonly known
as COM1 (ttyS0).

Soon after I noticed that when I typed "reboot", the machine
would not come up until it was physically reset with a power
cycle or by pressing the "RESET" button.

I can't say for certain that it was due to the serial console
change because I was also downloading updates and configuring
samba, dns, dhcpd and other supporting systems.  The console
change just seems like the most probable cause.

The server is already in service, and I plan to go in over
the weekend and undo the change to see the effect.  Has any
one else had a similar experience.  I really want to be able
to administrate this machine remotely, which must include my
ability to do a lights out reboot.

Any thoughts?

Ray