[WBEL-users] Update on my e2fsck problem -- fixed!

Shapiro, Mark mshapiro at Exchange.FULLERTON.EDU
Fri Apr 1 12:41:32 CST 2005

Thanks for all the help.  I ended up using Kirby's suggestion:

 root# init 1

 root# mount -o remount,ro /dev/hda5

 root# e2fsck -C /dev/hda5

However that test returned with a "clean" file system even though I
still suspected that I had a few bad blocks on the disk.  So after
reading the man page for e2fsck, I noted that there is a -c option that
forces a bad block test.

So I substituted e2fsck -c /dev/hda5 for e2fsck -C /dev/hda5 and sure
enough it found an marked the bad blocks, then on subsequent passes I
was able to repair the file system.

Mark

Dr. Mark H. Shapiro

Professor of Physics, Emeritus