[WBEL-users] Cron Job help

Jan-Albert van Ree javanree at vanree.net
Thu Apr 14 15:15:36 CDT 2005

On Thursday 14 April 2005 22:02, John Morris wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-04-14 at 14:02, Michael St. Laurent wrote:

> > That would be the "Red Hat" and/or "White Box" way of doing it, yes.
> > ;-D

> Yup.  Which isn't a bad idea since the next person to work on the
> machine would expect it.

True, and the only way to keep things tidy in case of upgrades and the like.

> > It seems to me that you should log in as root, then switch to the
> > cron.monthly directory and create a file in that directory with the
> > statement

> One addendum to that.  I'd make sure it was named so that it would run
> after the rest of the monthly events.  It runs them in sorted order as
> bash globs them.  Something like zzreboot.

Beter yet, number everything!

[javanree at www cron.daily]$ ll
total 52
-rwx------    1 root     root          104 Dec 15  2003 000rpm
-rwx------    1 root     root          189 Oct  7  2004 010photoalbum
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root          150 Dec 22 00:27 020freshclam
-rwx------    1 root     root          142 Jun 13  2004 030clamav-milter
-rwx------    1 root     root          135 Dec 13  2003 050wwwstats
-rwx------    1 root     root          192 May 13  2004 100tmpwatch
-rwx------    1 root     root          418 Dec 12  2003 150makewhatis
lrwxr-xr-x    1 root     root           28 Jan 12  2004 200logwatch
-> ../log.d/scripts/logwatch.pl
-rwx------    1 root     root           61 Jan 24  2004 250quotacheck
-rwx------    1 root     root          180 Dec 12  2003 300logrotate
-rwx------    1 root     root          132 Dec 13  2003 400slocate
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         1603 May  5  2004 600prelink
-rwx------    1 root     root           66 Jan  1 20:30 700apache
-rwx------    1 root     root          800 Jan 16  2004 800certwatch

No way you can make mistakes with the running order like that.
--
Jan-Albert van Ree  | http://www.vanree.net/brickpiles/
VanRee IT Solutions | http://www.vanree.net