[WBEL-users] Multi boot RAID

Bob Ramstad rramstad at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 19:53:56 CDT 2005

I agree that it's essential to experiment a bit with h/w before
deciding to use something new.  I have old hardware that I do exactly
that with.

If you do a search on Google for RAID software grub boot, the first hit is

http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/2003-July/014331.html

Read it, it tells you why you can't boot from the second drive when
the first fails...  you need to install MBR on the second drive.

If you follow the instructions there and you use grub, when the first
drive fails you power down the machine, remove the first drive
entirely, then power it up.  System should boot fine from the second
drive.

Easy to test and play around with if you have extra hardware...  I use
an ancient celeron system for playing around with this stuff, and a
couple of crappy old drives.

LILO can be set up in a similar way.

Have you read the Red Hat documentation for RHEL3?  The system
administration guide in particular is excellent... great discussion of
RAID, LVM and other topics.

-- Bob