[WBEL-users] #whitebox channel on Freenode

Rody rody at xs4all.nl
Mon Apr 18 16:44:05 CDT 2005

Op maandag 18 april 2005 18:39, schreef John Holbrook:
> If somebody has already posted about this I apologize but I was on freenode
> today and happened to notice a channel called #whitebox.
>
> I was quite surprised to enter the channel and find the following:
>
> Topic for #whitebox is http://www.centos.org is officially launched |
> wbel to CentOS migration guide available here:
> http://www.centos.org/modules/smartfaq/faq.php?faqid=19
>
> The channel appears to be full of bots that just want to slam whitebox
> linux:
>
> <wombat> centos good, whitebox bad
>
> <donavan> maybe whitebox is a pathetic weak distro?
>
> etc etc.
>
> I haven't been that active on this mailing list but whats going on here? I
> was actually thinking of trying out centos but I think I'll stay with
> whitebox.  Not that impressed with that sort of attitude and cheap shots.

Although I'm not an insider, I strongly suspect Centos is actively (or
agressively?) trying to get people to use their linux instead of WB.
I took the following snippet from an earlier post to illustrate:

On Mon, 2005-04-04 at 08:24, Tom Cat wrote:
> Speaking of /.  I noticed a number of them seem to be confused by
> whiteboxlinux.com and whiteboxlinux.net
>
> Can something be done about this?

Not until November when they expire.  Then I'm going to try to grab em.
Didn't really mind when they were just attempts to build web forums and
stuff, but making claims about WBEL being dead and driving traffic to
Centos is just a bit much.

--
John M.      http://www.beau.org/~jmorris     This post is 100% M$Free!

Although I do have problems with the update feature of WB (even with yum),
that is keeping me from deploying WB on "production machines", I do not
believe WB is bad or even dead. But then I'm not from the WB team.

Regards,
Rody