[WBEL-users] Production Ready?

Daniel J. Summers daniel at djs-consulting.com
Fri Apr 29 23:20:18 CDT 2005

Richard Crawford wrote:

>Please forgive my newbie intrusion.
>
>In our office, we're currently running a Fedora Core 2 server to host some
>internal testbed sites.  I'm not particularly happy with running FC2 and I
>desperately want to upgrade.  I use FC3 on my desktop computers and on my
>home server; however, even though I've never experienced stability problems
>with Fedora, the rapid release cycle makes me want something a little less
>volatile.  On the recommendation of some folks at the California EPA, I'm
>considering WBEL.
>
>My question is this:  Would WBEL 4 rc1 be appropriate for us?  Or should I
>stick with 3 resp 2?  The system would be used primarily for website
>development, so would need Apache/PHP/MySQL; it also needs to have Samba,
>SSH, and Subversion available.

I would lean toward 3.  From what I've heard about RC1, it's great *if*
you have the time to sit and play with it.  However, it looks like
you're wanting something you can set up and forget about (apart from
backups, and other such admin stuff that you have with *any* OS).  I
started with WBEL 3 (the first ISOs), went to FC2 for a while (where I
*did* have stability issues - mostly related to my unsupported network
card), and have now been running this install of 3 (started with WBEL 3
respin 1, yum upgraded to the packages in respin 2 now) for almost a
year.  Web development is a snap, and it controls backups for all the
computers on my home network.

I don't have experience running it in a large-scale environment, or
outside a firewall - but, based on my experience and my perception of
your needs, that's my opinion.  It may even be worth twice what you paid
for it!  :)

--
*Daniel J. Summers*
E-mail - 	daniel at djs-consulting.com <mailto:daniel at djs-consulting.com>

GEEKCODE 3.12 GCS/IT d s-:+ a C++ L++ E--- W++ N++ o? K- w !O M--
V PS+ PE++ Y? !PGP t+ 5? X+ R* tv b+ DI++ D+ G- e h---- r+++ y++++