[WBEL-users] SATA I or SATA II cards

Schirmers, Thorsten thorsten.schirmers at secunet.com
Mon Aug 1 07:08:24 CDT 2005

Hi together.
Sry for my late answer.
Weekend. :-)

We are using Raid-Controller from ICP for our SCSI and SATA Config
in Dell PowerEdges and custom-made servers since 1999.

Serious issues with ICP-raids ? No.
Only with RH 7.0 there was a problem with newer ICP-Cards.
RedHat has forgotten to add the new Controller-ID's to pcitables list.
So it was hard to boot from. After a short time RH released a modified
boot-image.

Mostly tools for configuring your raid don't differ from manufacturer
to manufacturer. Slightly other menu's or so, but functionally they are
identically.

For us it is very urgent ( security scenario's ) to have a daemon and a
application at a server for configuration issues. We don't like the idea
of configuring a raid over http like 3ware because of the security
problems. But that is only our point of view.

Thorsten

Am Fr, den 29.07.2005 schrieb Joe Aldeguer um 16:22:
> Has your shop been using this long, have you encountered any issues
> regarding use of this card? Thanks a lot! Thorsten
>
> Schirmers, Thorsten wrote:
> > Hi Joe,
> >
> > we are using for our SATA Raid's ICP Vortex GDT 8546RZ.
> > Driver for ICP-Raid's is in standard Kernel of WB3 and WB4 available.
> >
> > Do you need more information ?
> >
> > Thorsten
> >
> > Am Do, den 28.07.2005 schrieb Joe Aldeguer um 17:13:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Can you all recommend which manufacturer to buy the cards from including
> > > the model number of the cards? We'd like to use this cards with our
> > > Whitebox linux 3 & 4. Thanks!
> > >
> > > - Joe

Thorsten Schirmers
secunet Security Networks AG
Kronprinzenstraße 30
45128 Essen
Telefon +49 201 54 54-122
Telefax +49 201 54 54-123
mailto:thorsten.schirmers at secunet.com
http://www.secunet.com

Diese Mail ist ausschließlich für den genannten Empfänger bestimmt.
Sie enthält streng vertrauliche Informationen. Jede Verbreitung des
Inhalts, auch teilweise Verbreitung, ist untersagt. Falls Sie diese Mail
versehentlich erhielten, informieren Sie bitte unverzüglich den Absender
und löschen Sie diese Mail von jedem Rechner, auch von Ihrem Mailserver.

This mail contains strictly confidential information and is intended
only for the person to which it is addressed. Any dissemination, even
partly, is
prohibited. If you receive this mail in error, please contact the sender
and delete this mail from your computer, including your mailserver.