[WBEL-users] WBEL 4 Updates

Cris Rhea crhea at mayo.edu
Thu Aug 11 23:42:45 CDT 2005

On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 08:53:44PM -0600, Greg Knaddison wrote:
> I'm responding to this email, but there have been lots of others that
> said basically the same thing.
>
> >From the main web page:

> Beauregard Parish Public Library in DeRidder, LA USA out of self
> interest. We have several servers and over fifty workstations running
> Red Hat Linux and were left high and dry by their recent shift in
> business plan. Our choices were a difficult migration to another
> distribution or paying RedHat an annual fee greater than the amortized
> value of our hardware. So we chose a third path, made possible by the
> power of Open Source.... White Box Linux.
>
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
> This was created out of self interest and it continues that way.  If
> you want another distribution, it's clear that John supports CentOS
> from his posts in the past.  Why not move there rather than trying to
> make WBEL something it isn't and won't ever be?
>
> I hope that my comments are in line with John's philosophy, but I'm
> sure he will correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> Regards,
> Greg
> A satisfied WBEL and CentOS user

I guess I don't understand something, so let me ask a question (and
play devil's advocate a bit)....

I understand why and how these folks created a distribution. I'm in the
same boat because there isn't a pricing/support model from RedHat that
makes sense in our situation either.

If WBL was created ONLY to serve the needs of BPPL, why create a web site,
several mailing lists and mirror this distribution all over the planet?
It would have been cheaper to hand out 50 copies of the DVD to cover the
servers and workstations in the BPPL.

I assumed that by mirroring this distribution and by creating the
various email lists, that the folks involved in the project actually
wanted input and participation from those outside DeRidder, LA.

I will certainly consider your advice about switching to CentOS. It
seemed to me that both distributions had a similar goal of providing an
open-source "clone" of RHEL while providing support via a grass-roots
user base.

Sincerely,
-- Cris

--
 Cristopher J. Rhea                     Mayo Foundation
 Research Computing Facility             Pavilion 2-25