[WBEL-users] Grub install on an IDE Hard Disk

Erick Perez eaperezh at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 10:27:13 CDT 2005

You are right, sorry for my incomplete answer.
 I must apologize for this but i will never know the answer because I got a
board that suports SCSI as boot device in the BIOS. So I switch boards and
it worked.
 I will play with the old board in my spare time and hpefully find a
solution.

 On 8/19/05, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2005-08-19 at 14:14 -0500, Erick Perez wrote:
> > didnt work. i will use knopixx and try some other thing...
> >
> > On 8/18/05, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2005-08-18 at 11:24 -0500, Erick Perez wrote:
> > > Hi, i have a Dell poweredge (very old) server that only
> > boots from
> > > SCSI hard disks. It uses WB3 respin 2.
> > > Now I added an IDE disk and everytime I boot i only get a
> > "grub>"
> > > command line. I think I have tried to reinstall the MBR
> > portion
> > > without success. It seems that my Dell system is trying to
> > boot from
> > > the IDEs first. I have no BIOS option to force boot from the
> > SCSIs.
> > >
> > > What is the procedure to move the bootloader to the IDE and
> > then point
> > > to my /dev/sda5 to boot?
> > -----
> > boot from WBEL CD
> >
> > 'linux rescue' # add to boot command when you boot cd
> >
> > chroot /mnt/sysimage
> >
> > grub-install /dev/hda
> >
> > Should be good to go
> >
> ----
> didn't work hardly is the type of report that invites clarification.
>
> You might have to adjust the grub.conf because what used to be hd(0,x)
> might very well be hd(1,x) etc.
>
> I don't believe that booting a knoppix cd is gonna change anything
>
> Craig

Erick Perez
Linux User 376588
http://counter.li.org/ (Get counted!!!)