[WBEL-users] Re: Katrina

MJang mike at mommabears.com
Wed Aug 31 19:19:10 CDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-31 at 15:51 -0700, Shapiro, Mark wrote:
> Looks like they were quite a bit west of the path of the hurricane.

Even if the area escaped damage, it appears from the parent group, the
Beauregard Parish Library, http://library.beau.org/, a number of folks
from the New Orelans area have evacuated to the area around Beauregard
Parish.

Having been in evacs for hurricanes before, I know the situation around
shelters can sometimes be difficult. Shelters are often overcrowded,
with possibly questionable levels of sanitation. The shelves in local
supermarkets may be partially bare, as hoarding is common, and extra
population stresses available supplies.

And as they are in Cajun country, I suspect that at least some of the
folks behind White Box Linux have relatives / friends who have been
displaced from New Orleans. If so, I suspect their first priority is to
help them.

Thanks,
Mike