[WBEL-users] Proliant 5800 Install Problems

Jared Hall jhall at tbi.net
Mon Dec 5 17:13:58 CST 2005

I have an old Proliant 5800 w/ a standard Floppy drive, SCSI
CD-ROM, and RAID array.  Memory detection doesn't work well
and I have to append mem=640M to get past the memory checks.
WBox 4 didn't load at all, so I went an installed Slackware 10.2,
that worked fine but didn't detect the RAID array so I just used
Compaq's standard on-board SCSI controller to get it working.  Still,
it is a requirement to run with Redhat or Whitebox for some third-party
fax card support.  I tried installing commercial Redhat 9 and it failed
also at the memory test.

I then tried WBox 3, Respin 2 bootloaded via Floppy disk(s).  The main
boot floppy doesn't give the "boot:" prompt, but does appear to accept
the parameters from either command line (although there's no echo of
keyboard input) or via the cfg file.  Now, it boots past the memory tests,
but fails trying to create the "root disk".  Furthermore, the kernel
doesn't
ask me for the supplemental driver disk.  I also tried using the "dd" option
to no avail.

What is the proper boot-loading procedure when the source CD-ROM and
target disks are SCSI?