[WBEL-users] various questions

Edward Rudd eddie at omegaware.com
Sat Feb 5 00:47:03 CST 2005

On Fri, 2005-02-04 at 22:21, Terry wrote:
> Hello all, (new to the list),
> Considering downloading / installing or upgrading a couple RHL9 boxes
> to white-box.  Just wondering what options are and have couple basic
> questions. (Feel the need to 'look b4 I leap'.)

> 1)  What kernel versin is in the current version of withebox?
kernel 2.4.21

> 3)  Is it close to or same as RHEL2 or RHEL3?  (Not that I know what's
> in RHEL2 or RHEL3 but just curious as to what it's comparable to.)
On the main whiteboxlinux.org website it says

  What is the goal for White Box Linux?

To provide an unencumbered RPM based Linux distribution that retains
enough compatibility with Red Hat Linux to allow easy upgrades and to
retain compatibility with their Errata srpms. Being based off of RHEL3
means that a machine should be able to avoid the upgrade treadmill until
Oct 2008 since RHEL promises Errata availability for five years from
date of initial release and RHEL3 shipped in Oct 2003.

So the answer is WBEL is the same as RHEL3, which is a relative to RH 9
(what you are currently using).
> 2) Anyone have experience with 'upgrade function'?  Or is it highly
> advisable to do fresh install?
I did an upgrade from RH 7.3 to WBEL and it went mostly OK.. only a few
packages fixes I had to do, but largely because I had many custom
packages.

To actually do an upgrade from RH9 specify the upgradeany boot parameter
to the install cd.. ie.

linux upgradeany

> 3)  Does whitebox use YUM?

According to the FAQ on Whiteboxlinux.org

How is WhiteBox Linux updated?

Obviously RHN isn't available as an option, so yum has been brought in
from Fedora along with a version of up2date that can work with yum. So
pick Up2Date Network from the menu and it basically "just works".

So, yes Whitebox linux uses YUM.

> if so,
> 4)  Are YUM repositories seperate from RH?   or...
WBEL is not a RedHat product, it is only BASED on a redhat product. so
you can't get any files from Redhat.  The YUM repositories are stored on
whiteboxlinux.org and the mirrors listed on the mirror page.

also you can use Dag's RHEL3 YUM repository with WBEL perfectly fine
http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/apt

Edward Rudd <eddie at omegaware.com>
Website http://www.outoforder.cc/