[WBEL-users] various questions

Sat Feb 5 07:23:00 CST 2005

On Fri, 2005-02-04 at 21:21 -0600, Terry wrote:
> Hello all, (new to the list),
> Considering downloading / installing or upgrading a couple RHL9 boxes
> to white-box.  Just wondering what options are and have couple basic
> questions. (Feel the need to 'look b4 I leap'.)
> 1)  What kernel versin is in the current version of withebox?
> 3)  Is it close to or same as RHEL2 or RHEL3?  (Not that I know what's
> in RHEL2 or RHEL3 but just curious as to what it's comparable to.)
> 2) Anyone have experience with 'upgrade function'?  Or is it highly
> advisable to do fresh install?
> 3)  Does whitebox use YUM?
> if so,
> 4)  Are YUM repositories seperate from RH?   or...

Also, when you finish an upgrade from RH9 ... there will be some
packages from redhat that still exist because they have higher version
numbers (even though they are really not newer).  This is a consistency
issue with numbering from RH, and doesn't have anything to do with WBEL
(except that they inherit the problem by using the RHEL version numbers)

This issue was just addressed (with solutions) in this thread of the
CentOS mailing list:
http://lists.caosity.org/pipermail/centos/2005-February/002056.html

--
Johnny Hughes