[WBEL-users] various questions

John Morris jmorris at beau.org
Mon Feb 7 17:35:13 CST 2005

On Sat, 2005-02-05 at 07:23, Johnny Hughes wrote:

> Also, when you finish an upgrade from RH9 ... there will be some
> packages from redhat that still exist because they have higher version
> numbers (even though they are really not newer).  This is a consistency
> issue with numbering from RH, and doesn't have anything to do with WBEL
> (except that they inherit the problem by using the RHEL version numbers)
>
> This issue was just addressed (with solutions) in this thread of the
> CentOS mailing list:
> http://lists.caosity.org/pipermail/centos/2005-February/002056.html

I have to agree with that discussion.  I did it on a RH7.3 box almost a
year ago and am still finding small nits.  Just last week I found that
box printing out two digit years where all the other WBEL machines were
displaying dates as 02/07/2005 with "date +%x".  This was causing a
fatal problem with a script I was deploying so I had to dig in and find
the cause.  Turns out there was no /etc/sysconfig/i18n file on the cross
distro upgraded machine.

So yes you can use upgradeany and kinda get away with it but it has
slowly become clear to me why RedHat doesn't support this sort of thing
on RHEL.  It would simply be a support nightmare.  So be prepared and if
ye have the slightst doubts about your UNIX Kung Fu skills or your Malox
supply do the recommended thing and just reload.

--
John M.      http://www.beau.org/~jmorris     This post is 100% M$Free!