[WBEL-users] Centos contacted by RedHat legal team

donavan nelson donavan at whiteboxlinux.net
Sat Feb 12 22:36:40 CST 2005

Joel Barrios Dueñas wrote:
> Acccording to the letter sent from Red Hat legal team to CenOS people,
> CenOS website did used, in some manner, Red Hat Logos and trademark even
> as metatags inte HTML of their website, this is, they did what White Box

Please do not mistake Joel's interpretation of the letter included in
the announcement for the facts.  CentOS has not used (intentionally) any
Red Hat (tm), Inc. logos in any attempt to brand CentOS.  Meta tags did
NOT and do not contain Registered Red Hat (tm), Inc.  The meta
name="description" previously contained RHEL only and only used in a
sense to convey the fact that CentOS is a rebuild of such.

> did not. White Box Linux website has no Red Hat Logo anyware (as fas as I

I'll grant you this as a true fact.

> have reached), neither in any package from the distribution, neither has

Not intentionally.  They have slipped out (as have logos from CentOS).

> the red hat trademark included within the HTML code, and properly quotes

This is obviously inaccurate unless something has changed in the last 24
hours.

> Red Hat trademarks belonging to Red Hat. .

As DID the CentOS webpage.  The cAos foundation leader demanded that the
   Red Hat (tm), Inc. Trademark exception and that CentOS is not
affiliated or supported by Red Hat (tm), Inc. be removed from the website.

>>This is only a heads up.  I am not a CentOS developer and i do
>>not know if RedHat will bother Whitebox at all.

Wouldn't surprise me if they did.  Seems they are on the TM watch again.
  This happened about 2.5 years ago as well.

.dn