[WBEL-users] Gateway M520 and Linux

Edward Rudd eddie at omegaware.com
Sun Feb 20 13:44:49 CST 2005

On Sun, 2005-02-20 at 13:08, qsm wrote:
> i installed CentOS (and WBEL too) on a notebook gateway m520 and all work
> fine, but when i try to use the sound the notebook freeze.
>
> the soundcard is an intel i810_audio.

i810 chipsets are horrid chipsets.. I've had no end of problems trying
to get ANY os using those things. I had an i810 in a compaq desk pro en
at work and I had to compile CVS releases (to get fixes now in 1.0.7 and
up) of alsa just to get the sound to correctly pipe out the external
speaker jack instead of the internal Speaker..

If you want to get sound on the i810 w/ WBEL/CentOS you will need to
download, compile, and install Alsa from alsa-project.org the latest
release should work perfectly with i810 on that laptop.

Edward Rudd <eddie at omegaware.com>
Website http://www.outoforder.cc/