[WBEL-users] RE: A whole bevy of questions...

Luke Scharf lscharf at aoe.vt.edu
Sun Feb 20 17:47:55 CST 2005

On Sun, 2005-02-20 at 14:40, Edward Rudd wrote:
> Your best bet for running a mythtv box is to run Fedora Core 3 with Axel
> Timmons RPM Repository (atrpms.net). As he maintains the mythtv
> binaries, and updated bttv, ivtv, video4linux, cx88, etc.. (all the TV
> tuner stuff) up there.  Also the fact that all the newer TV tuners are
> not real well supported under 2.4 kernels and all development for the
> video4linux is being done on 2.6 so you'll need a 2.6 kernel to make use
> of current hardware.  WBEL/RHEL is for those who need a stable core to
> base production systems on.. For mythtv (which requires almost bleeding
> edge hardware support) Fedora Core is a better choice. As that's what I
> run 3 different mythtv boxes on.

Agreed.  This setup worked very well for me with FC2 and a Huppage
PVR-250.  The IR remote worked well too.

The hardware and software both worked as advertised.  There were a few
glitches since I was tracking a fairly new version of Myth, but since I
was in control of the setup, it was all good.

Be warned that MythTV will change the way you watch TV.  For me, it got
rid of all of the annoying commercials, reruns and scheduling
conflicts...  Even so, I found TV to still be just as annoying as it
always was -- so I now save time and money by living in a TV-free
house!  :-)

BTW, if anyone on this list lives near Blacksburg VA, I've got a couple
of TV cards on which I'll be happy to make a deal.

-Luke