[WBEL-users] RE: A whole bevy of questions...

Edward Rudd eddie at omegaware.com
Sun Feb 20 13:40:04 CST 2005

On Sun, 2005-02-20 at 12:39, kirby wrote:
[nip]

> First a thinks to everyone on the first round of questions... After this I
> think I will have to start a new thread on mythtv ...
>
> *** Version Question:
> Well I am little clearer on versions ... I had missed the difference between
> RHEL and RHL ... I think I get it now. FC an RHEL are current, but FC is
> kind of on its own. RHL is the OLD version before FC and RHEL.
>      Does FC3 approximate RHEL3?

NO RHEL3 is more analogous to RedHAt 9 in terms of the CORE poackages.
RHEL4 is more like FC3 (which was released last week).

> *** Yum Configuration [Dag] Suggestion:
> I tweaked my yum.conf to include dag.  Previously. I had been getting my
> mythtv components piece by piece and digging up the dependencies when make
> or configure would fail... Rpm's seem to be much easier :-) So on to the
> continuing saga of mythtv ..

[snip]

Your best bet for running a mythtv box is to run Fedora Core 3 with Axel
Timmons RPM Repository (atrpms.net). As he maintains the mythtv
binaries, and updated bttv, ivtv, video4linux, cx88, etc.. (all the TV
tuner stuff) up there.  Also the fact that all the newer TV tuners are
not real well supported under 2.4 kernels and all development for the
video4linux is being done on 2.6 so you'll need a 2.6 kernel to make use
of current hardware.  WBEL/RHEL is for those who need a stable core to
base production systems on.. For mythtv (which requires almost bleeding
edge hardware support) Fedora Core is a better choice. As that's what I
run 3 different mythtv boxes on.

Edward Rudd <eddie at omegaware.com>
Website http://www.outoforder.cc/